Wednesday, February 15, 2012

College Education


I hope my college education is worth it. I've always been told to go, and it's been expected of me to go to college. My parents always said that you go to college to have a good future; a college diploma allows you to get a better job and a bigger salary. So, like a good girl, I go to college. I get there, and I have to take out loans to pay (thankfully I had HOPE to help pay), I change my major and my mind a few times, I pull all-nighters to finish projects, I study hard, and I get to my last semester of college. Now what? Some professors help us out by telling us about job postings, but applying for 100 jobs and only hearing from 2 can be quite demoralizing. 

Didn't my parents tell me that having a college diploma was like having a golden ticket to Willie Wonka's Factory?! What did you say? A Bachelor's degree is no longer good enough anymore, and I have to have a Master's degree now? Oh, goody.

I love college. It's been the best experience of my life, and I'm not ready to leave yet. I figured that while I am enjoying college, I might as well stay until I can't stand it anymore, and then, maybe, I might have a high enough degree to resemble a "golden ticket". I am about to graduate this semester with a BS in Interior Design, and I want to go to graduate school, but I want to go back to engineering for my Master's degree. Unfortunately, the master's program won't take me unless I have a BS in engineering or a related science field, so I'm getting my second BS in Mechanical Engineering, which will add another 2.5 years onto my schooling before I can go to graduate school. I don't think I'll mind spending another couple years doing math and engineering because I'm tired of being creative anyways; it's time for a new path.

Now, that I think about it, I might just be a professional student. There's so much that I want to do in life, and I feel like I have to have a degree to do any of it. Is that me wanting to be excellent at what I do, or is that society saying that you are nothing without a degree? 

Well, at the moment, all I have to show for 4 years of a college education is over $20k in debt, no job, and more schooling that will put me further in debt and postpone my career search. This college education had better be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I believe in following your dreams. If more education is what will give you the "golden ticket" to reach those goals, then take it! I am planning on going back for my MBA so I can become a CEO of a company. I've always wanted to grow with a company and I know the routes to get there. So take yours and never look back.

    ReplyDelete