Sunday, March 4, 2012

Venturing into the Real World...

I am finally done with my portfolio! Well, at least until I finish my Studio V project and update it just before I graduate.

Here is my portfolio: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64976849/portfolio%20slides.pptx

I love my new portfolio much more than my first one. My first portfolio, now, seems like I just put a bunch of projects together to show people because it was a ton of work gathering all of my work together and scanning it into a digital format. This time, I was able to focus on my layouts more because most of the work (scanning in my early projects) was already done. I chose a color block layout because it looks chic and clean with the added bonus that the style is "in" right now. I also chose my colors green and brown because they are without a doubt my style. I love earth tones, and those colors are exhibited in a lot of my work allowing the layout to complement my projects. The colors are muted and neutral enough to not draw attention away from my work, and the different color block layouts actually help emphasize certain projects.

My favorite project is my internship project. I liked the projects in did in hospitality and commercial design, but my special project I did on my internship was more important to me because of what it symbolized. For my project, my employer gave me a list of clients to choose from, and I chose a Rape & Abuse Crisis Center in Pennsylvania. I wanted them to be my client because it was going to be a charity project. I picked the room I wanted to design in the center; I selected the common room because I wanted everyone in the building - clients and workers alike - to enjoy my design.

Portfolio Page introducing my internship project
For the special project, there was no budget because it was completely for charity. I had to go knock on local businesses' doors personally to ask for donations, arrange for furniture pick-ups, write letters and thank you notes, and I was a part of the project from conception to completion. I designed the room based on the shelter's needs, picked the colors and furniture, and I did all the manual labor with help from some friends and family. I was so proud of that room, and it made me remember why I want to be an interior designer. My employer even encouraged me to call a press release to show off my design in the local newspaper. I did get the local paper out to the shelter to interview me and take pictures, which made me feel amazing.  I absolutely loved doing all that work for them because they were truly grateful for my work.

My employer put together a SmileBox of all the work I put into the project. Thanks, Deb!
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d6a55314e544d324d544d3d0d0a&blogview=true&campaign=blog_playback_link&playAgain=true

I would love to work in hospitality design because it's a blend between residential design, which is very much what the client wants, and commercial design, which is very creatively limiting from my point of view. No matter what design field I end up working in, I know from experience that it's very important to listen to the client. Even if the client says that whatever you like is fine, it's not. A good designer looks for hints or clues as to what the client really wants like showing pictures of other rooms and gauging the client's reaction or simply observing what the client already has in the home. I'm sure I'll have a whole list of Do's and Don't when I get out into the real world and work with real clients on designs. I can't wait to get out there and design.

5 comments:

  1. Love the smilebox. Thats a great idea. I want to make one now and I like the paint you used for your special project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed looking through your portfolio. You are so right about doing your portfolio for the first time and then doing it during your senior year. The projects that you did throughout the years mean more than just, "here are some projects." They all represent you as a designer and your portfolio markets what you can bring to a firm as a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your project is something to be proud of. That is what I love a bout interior design is the fact you are helping someone be happy and content in a space. I believe that everything you have done on your internship was of value to your future in this carrier field. I also think that over time you will be an even better design than you are now since you are going back to school for Engineering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE my new portfolio much more than my first! I too just threw my projects on the page and did not pay attention to the design element of each page. I'm actually glad we had to redo a portfolio verses starting from scratch this semester.. definitely allow me to be more creative and create something I am truly proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having all of that responsibility during your internship was a great opportunity for you to shine and it seems like you succeeded. The work you are most proud of is the one you put your heart into and that is probably why your internhip project is your favorite.

    ReplyDelete